[Foundation-l] Privacy etc - merging data

Excirial wp.excirial at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 12:52:38 UTC 2010

*So the logic seems to be thus - if I tell employee X something about my
life, interests, experience, C.V. that could possibly be of use or interest
to the Foundation, it's fine to store it on a central database where all and
sundry within the Foundation can get at it, despite the fact that this was
never my intent.*

I don't think the system is intended to work this way. The system seems to
be akin to a CRM system, and i presume only relevant information will be
tracked. For example, you might contact the foundation wishing to set up
another local chapter, asking for an internship or merely to request
information on policies, this previous request is logged. If you call again
it is likely you will get someone else on the phone, which means you would
have to explain the whole situation again. In the current situation the
"buddy system" seems to take care of this, as people are likely to share
such information over coffee so everyone knows what person XyZ called for.
Due to the predicted explosive growth such a buddy system would overextend
itself, thus necessitating some form of central storage.

Keep in mind that "Stakeholders" is a very wide term. Wikipedians are but
one group - The foundation will also receive calls from companies asking why
their page was removed, From universities to ask if they can integrate
Wikipedia editing in their curriculum, from other institutions that give
Wikipedia grants for development, from journalists, politicians... The
possibilities are endless, as a stakeholder is merely someone interested in
the foundation.

~Excirial