[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 11:39:48 UTC 2010

I was raised areligious and I see a clear difference there. On the one
hand, you're talking about portraying a religious figure on a sex toy;
on the other hand you're just talking about portraying a religious
figure. Just on the grounds of being offensive, I don't think either
should be excluded from WP (we have a page about and an image of Piss
Christ and I'd not be against things far more offensive than that, so
long as they serve an illustrative purpose and their inclusion can be
justified). However, while I think it's perfectly reasonable to
include later depictions (many, though not all, of them from _within_
that particular religious tradition itself in the case of Muhammad) in
the main article on the religious figure, I don't think it's
reasonable to include the buttplugs. I'd have no problem with them
going in the article [[Baby Jesus Buttplugs]], but I can't see how
they can be considered to be more notable than the hundreds of far
more famous depictions of that particular individual. Similarly, I
wouldn't support the inclusion of many of the more recent images of
Muhammad - such as some of the more controversial ones from
Jyllands-Posten - because rather than simply depicting the individual,
they go far beyond that. Many people around the world are offended
(including for religious reasons) by sexual immodesty, yet we have
lots of images of nude people and images demonstrating sexual acts.
Images of certain animals are offensive to certain cultures. Wikipedia
is not censored; to me, that means we use any non-illegal images that
serve to illustrate an article. Despite my lack of reverence for
Jesus, however, I don't think those two cases are analogous.

-m
skype: node.ue