[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Muhammad Yahia shipmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 07:13:05 UTC 2010

I think I would accept that some language wikis decide, by consensus,
> that they will not show illustrations of Mohammed under any
> circumstances.
>
> They should not ask for a boycott of another language, though. They
> could have a protest page with a list of users who want to sign up to
> it. Sticking a banner on the main page - and worse; as the only
> content - I disagree with.

I totally agree with the above. I don't know why the discussion evolved into
the rights of individual wikis to not show the images. I thought that was
never in question. On the Arabic wp for example, we do not display the
images by consensus, we try to describe in detail what's in them in articles
pertaining to the subject, this seems to be a compromise accepted by most.

What irritated me originally was the call for boycott on the main page and
the fact that the template is worded to be understood as the opinion of the
Acehnese wikipedia not a group of editors/admins.

What bothers me also is the mention by someone above that there was a note
that Acehnese wikipedia follows islamic law and anything that contradicts
with it is not allowed. If this is true, I think this is recipe for
disaster. 'Islamic law' is not really a solid law but a large spectrum of
interpretation of the holy books and precedence and differs by faction, I
strongly doubt that everyone using that wikipedia will have the same views
of what constitutes a violation even within the same ethnic group thus it's
very hard to call that a 'consensus' that we should respect and not impose
'western values' on. There is an argument on the discussion going on that
wiki that all Acehnese are muslim, I can't see how they can verify the
validity of such claim,  religion is by choice. If someone is an
Acehnese-born muslim but not a close practitioner or an atheist or convert
to another religion, would his contributions be not welcome if they violate
'islamic law' (they can be as simple as writing articles about alcoholic
drinks) ?

--
Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia