[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation Form 990 Now Posted

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 23:28:52 UTC 2010

Veronique Kessler, 27/04/2010 02:08:
> Please note that the 2008 Form 990 which covers fiscal year July 1, 2008
> through June 30, 2009 has been posted to the Wikimedia Foundation
> website at:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:WMF_2008_2009_Form_990.pdf

Thank you. (I love to read these documents, even if there are lots of
unnecessary bureaucracy, for which I sympathize with you; even in Italy
we have a law which says that the State can't ask you some information
you have already given in some other communication...)

> Also posted are questions and answers which can be found at:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Form_2008_Questions_and_Answers
>
> Of course I am available to answer questions as well.

I'm a bit late here, but I have three (little) questions:
1) Page 7, part VI, section A, line 7a: "Does the organization have
members, stockholders, or other persons who may elect one or more
members of the governing body?" Why is the answer "no"? Because of the
definition of "elect" (perhaps they're not considered elected because a
board resolution is needed)?
2) Page 9, part VIII, line 2a: what are those 366,232 $ of program
service revenue from data provider services? Are they included in "Other
income, net" line in the financial statement (398,149 $)?
3) Page 31, schedule M, part I, line 31: "Does the organization have a
gift acceptance policy that requires the review of any non-standard
contributions?", answer "no". Isn't WMF gift policy
(<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Gift_policy#Accepting_Gifts.2FPrivate_Grants_--_Board_Approval>
) enough?
Thank you,
	Nemo