[Foundation-l] Wikisource and reCAPTCHA

Samuel J Klein sj at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 16 19:49:06 UTC 2010

Hello Aubrey,

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Aubrey <zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue of metadata is nontheless serious, because it's one of the most
> important flaws of Wikisource: not applying standards (i.e Dublin Core) and not
> having a proper tools for export/import and harvest metadata

Both good points. Are there proposals on wikisource to address these
two points in a way that's friendly to wikisource contributors?

<
> I would love to have PP people involved in collaboration with Wikisource, just
> don't know if this is possible.

Yes, PP is ahead of us in some ways.  But in other ways they have run
into bottleneck and multilingual issues that a wiki environment can
resolve.

I believe that Prof. Greg Crane of the Perseus Project (cc:ed here) is
interested in starting to collaborate with Wikisource, even while
pursuing ideas about developing a larger framework for wiki-style
annotations and editions.

While it may be hard in the short term, in the long term that's what I
think we all want wikisource to become.

<
> Luckily, the relationships with the Italian Wikisource are really good, and
> they'll probably share an office with Wikimedia Italy, in October.
> The interesting fact is that the offices will be within a library ;-), so I
> really expect a collaboration there.

Wow.  This is all great to hear -- can you include a link to the
project?  I'd like to blog about it.

Warmly,
SJ