[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Bod Notbod bodnotbod at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 18:35:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:

>> As to the best of my understanding
>> Each and every single rule on Wikipedia is completely determined by
>> WP:5P (and NPOV is one of them) in sense that no rule may contradict
>> to 5P.
>
> May not contradict.  That's something far different from being
> completely determined by it.

I disagree, although it depends on your definition of "may". My
reading of "no rule may contradict" is that contradiction is
unacceptable in which case you are indeed "completely determined by
it".

> Apparently accordingly to you and others > in this thread, not just a rule to not include Mohammed depiction but
> any rule in Wikipedia whatsoever that is based on morality would go

But this I agree with. Whether something is forbidden or not is a
product of time and place. In the UK (where I live) it was once
acceptable to burn people alive. In modern Britain that would get you
into trouble. If I were to travel back in time I'm not sure I could
argue that my position on witches was "neutral" and therefore they
should put down that flaming torch. I think I would have to seek a
different form of reasoning.

en:User:Bodnotbod