[Foundation-l] Boycott in ace at wiki

Excirial wp.excirial at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 16:58:40 UTC 2010

*"if the majority feels it has to follow Islamitic law, would we say they
can't add in their local rules "pictures of Mohammed are not allowed"*

If a culture sees these images as highly offensive, and if the main
complement of editors / readers agrees with this i wouldn't object to such a
rule, as long as it remained in their local Wiki, with no attempts to force
it on other wikipedia's. Every culture has its own inherent bias towards
certain topics, and i don't believe that we should try to enforce a certain
"Morale" on other people - in other words, country specific Wikipedia's
should be granted some lenience in setting their own rules.

The limitation here should be that
A) Content may not be illegal in the USA due to hosting locations, and
B) Policies should not conflict with Wikipedia's goal, which is the creation
of a neutral, unbiased encyclopedia.

In other words, if the ACE community (Or any other community for that
matter) would suddenly start banning every user adding criticism on the
Islam (or any other topic), there would be a need for intervention. We
aren't trying to create another conservapedia after all.

~Excirial