[Foundation-l] 2010-11 Annual Plan Now Posted to FoundationWebsite

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 09:51:01 UTC 2010

Hoi,
I agree that donors are happy to provide to these other goals as well. The
issue is however that they go together with the essential goal of keeping
our infra structure running. Take away the essentials from the equation,
give the impression that there are plenty of reserves and the need can no
longer be properly communicated.

I know of charities who lost money because of the economic downturn and lost
their ability to raise funds at the same time. Having large reserves and
protecting them from inflation is really hard. Why should people give hard
currency only to see its value diminish over time ?

The best other argument against going for an endowment is that we do not
even provide proper support for our projects as it is. At this time we do
not support projects other then Wikipedia related, we do not support our
volunteer developers (when they do not work on the centrally managed
projects).. we do not support the technical needs for many of our languages.
Thanks,
      Gerard