[Foundation-l] Self-determination of language versions in questions of skin?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sun Jul 4 01:03:47 UTC 2010

On 07/03/2010 04:47 PM, David Gerard wrote:
> Well. not really. He's asking the same question Greg Maxwell and I
> asked last month about the language list defaulting to open rather
> than closed: If a wiki voted for it, would that override the usability
> team's dictates? That was a straight "yes or no" question, like this
> is, and we only got weaseling too.

That's phrased in terms of dominance. It's in effect asking who's the
bigger monkey. I think that's a conversation worth avoiding where possible.

I'd rather see people discuss this in terms of data, and what it implies
for the mission. If an interface choice is controversial, that often
means it's good for some people and bad for others. If we can find out
which people are which, and the extent of the benefits or harms, we'll
all be better off.

At the very least, we can have a more useful discussion, one framed by
our mission, rather than by politicking. At best, the right answer will
be obvious, and perhaps it will be an answer that didn't occur to us before.

Ook ook,

William