[Foundation-l] ASCAP comes out against "copyleft"

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 23:40:41 UTC 2010

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/2/2010 3:20:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk writes:
>

>> Nothing competes with free, why would you pay for an album when your
>> mates just download it for nothing? >>
>
> Gee I don't know.  Why are people still renting videos from Netflix when
> you can watch 500 free movies on YouTube?  I think you're being specious.

Why did you snip the context?

Perhaps they haven't quite got the idea of BitTorrents, eDonkey or
whatever. Perhaps they are slightly scared that they might get caught,
perhaps they are fundamentally honest, perhaps they like to pretend they
are Cosimo de' Medici dispensing their largess on the arts?

Back in the late 80s a computer club I used to go to turned from a
hackers showcase sort of place, to a pirate club. By the time I stopped
going there there were 50  computers every month spending 2 hours
copying games discs. I don't recall ever seeing an original disc.
Someone somewhere must have bought one but it wasn't anyone at that
particular club and those that I kept some form of contact with never
paid for games. They don't pay for music or films either. Except as
presents for xmas and birthdays cos it looks a bit cheap giving someone
a DVD you've got off eMule.