[Foundation-l] ASCAP comes out against "copyleft"

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 22:59:00 UTC 2010

Yann Forget wrote:
> Hello,

>>> They know perfectly well how to do it, they've been doing it.
>>> If you can't actually get 85 million dollars out of a 13-year-old girl,
>>> well then that's your tough luck, welcome to jurisprudence U.S. style.
>> The loss to the economy is staggering. Yet you'd do nothing, apply no
>> sanctions, bitch about rights management, and let $billions each year be
>> filtch from the creative industries. That 13 yo is as much a thief as
>> the person that smashes the jewelers window and throws the contents into
>> the street. Maybe we should have her MySpace and Facebook page branded
>> with THIEF.
>
> Sorry, but this is complete bullshit.
> There is no loss, because most of the music which is freely downloaded
> would never be bought.
> These $billions never existed, and there will never exist.
>
> I even think that the opposite is sometime true.
> That by making a work freely available online, you create an incentive
> for buying it.
> Since the cost of the online publishing is marginal, there is an
> opportunity for profit.

Online publishing is NOT the cost vector here. The actual material costs
are negligible. If supermarkets can fly apples across the globe, sell
them for pennies and still make a profit then transport and storage
costs aren't an issue either. The cost are for paying the session
musicians, the sound engineer, hire of the recording equipment, the
mikes, amplifiers, all that sort of stuff. If you skimp on that your
song sounds like shit. Then there is all the additional costs involved
in getting it to market.

>> That aside if I invest a bunch of money in some stocks that gives me a
>> share in the profits of that companies I've invested in. No one says
>> that in 10 years time my rights to a share in those profits are forfeit,
>>  and the rights devolved to some general class of whiners and moaners
>> with an inflated sense of entitlement.
>
> You cannot blame others if you invest money in the wrong place.

EH! There is protection for someone who invests in an oil rig their
investment is protected for life and beyond, or until the well runs dry.
  But those that invest in creating something that advances science and
the arts etc, those that are successful at it, those ones they get their
investment taken away. Wow that's fair.

> The point is that the publishing industry _has_ to review its economic model
> with the new technical situation which is the Internet, and whether it
> publishes music, video or text.

I have the impression that back in the C15 you'd have been there arguing
  Hey those peasants need to review their economic model of growing
crops for market, now that there is this new technical situation which
is the gun.