[Foundation-l] ASCAP comes out against "copyleft"

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 22:20:59 UTC 2010

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/1/2010 9:49:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> yannfo at gmail.com writes:
>

>> The point is that the publishing industry _has_ to review its economic
>> model
>> with the new technical situation which is the Internet, and whether it
>> publishes music, video or text. >>
> ----------------------------
>
> Yann has hit it right on the head.
> You can't plug every hole in the dam, while a guy down the row is busy
> opening up a few new holes.

We could try plugging the holes with the body of the guy down the road
digging the holes pour encourager les autres.

> However what you can do, is realize that people are willing to use your
> site only (cbs.com) to view old episodes of shows where you can exert full
> control over what advertisements they see, and whether they have to make a
> micropayment and so on.
>
> What doesn't work in today's environment, is stating that the sole way of
> obtaining the content is through an exorbitantly priced single hard-to-access
> channel.  The channel of choice today is the online channel and publishers
> need to figure out how to work with it, to both protect their copyright AND
> provide access.
>
> Some publishers have figured it out, some are idiots and deserve what they
> get.
> The simplest way to stop bootlegging, is to provide access at a reasonable
> cost.

Nothing competes with free, why would you pay for an album when your
mates just download it for nothing? Radiohead, a band with an
established loyal following got £1 a copy for their pay-what-you-like
2007 album. BTW did they ever produce a final balance sheet on that
experiment, what were their production costs?

Now my brother-in-law was the sound supervisor for this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_of_Kells

works 16-18 hours a day, has a staff wage bill of over $1,000,000 euros,
has to maintain expensive offices in Paris. Profits are being
re-invested back into top end digital film and production equipment,
which not cheap. His technical requirements drive innovation in sound
reproduction which eventually works its way into your home sound
systems, and for those of you interested in creating music yourselves it
eventually makes it way into home recording studios. All driven by the
needs of the copyright industries.