[Foundation-l] 2008/2009 Wikimedia Foundation Annual Report

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 19:31:47 UTC 2010

On 24 January 2010 18:57, Bod Notbod <bodnotbod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very impressed with the report, I found it rather inspiring.
>
> Is it too late for a proof-reading note?
>
> On page 12 headed "Gathering Support", attached to the timeline at the
> bottom, there is a caption saying "Annual Giving Campaign surpasses
> $6mm goal from over 125k donors globally".
>
> I guess there should be just one 'm' following the '6'?

Probably, but you can justify two. It is common to repeat an
abbreviation to denote the plural ("pp. 5-7" for "pages 5 to 7"), so
$6mm would mean "six millions of dollars", which is an odd way to say
it, but not strictly incorrect. (Gordon Brown, the British PM, often
pluralises "million" and "billion" when talking about large sums of
money - it always annoys me!)