[Foundation-l] sell wikipedia

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:01:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:32 AM, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's also the "wikireader": http://thewikireader.com/index.html
> I've played with one of these and I must say, they're pretty awesome.
>
> wittylama.com/blog
> Peace, love & metadata
>

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Pascal Martin <pmartin at linterweb.fr> wrote:
>
>> It s possible to buy a usb key with okawix
>> http://www.okawix.com

I can second the WikiReader! But yes: we do not charge for access to
our content. Both the sites and the database dumps are usable without
any charges, and have been since inception. If people want to do things
with that content--download, analyze, sell, create a business model
around it--they're all certainly allowed to do that, as long as they follow
the license and give credit where credit is due :) The WMF's role is to
facilitate generation and dissemination of content, not hiding it behind a
paywall. I'm glad that products like the wikireader and other offline media
like DVDs exist. It means that people find our work valuable, and that
means a lot to me.

-Chad