[Foundation-l] video presentation on explicit images on WMF projects

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 16:42:26 UTC 2010

In the specific case of the 16-year-old uploader's image, we don't
really know if it was child porn or not, and the uploader denies that
it was.

A self-identified 16-year-old girl uploaded an artistically processed
image that was cropped to show a woman's genitals apparently engaged
in masturbation.  Because of the artistic processing it is not obvious
whether the image was based on a photo, or if it was based on an
illustration (as the uploader claims).  Regardless, the image was not
identifiable as a child.  The entire case that this was child porn is
based on the identity of the uploader and the suspicion that the image
might have originally been a self-photo before the image processing.

Hence the image was deleted and oversighted out of what might be
termed an abundance of caution.  It might be illicit, and there were
some reasons to be concerned that it was, but no definitive knowledge.
 However, since it wasn't actually useful to our mission probably
better to be safe than try to worry about it further.  That kind of
caution is probably entirely appropriate when minors upload
"self-made" images with sexual content.  However, it should be
acknowledged that we are unlikely to ever really know whether this
particular image was child porn unless the uploader chooses to
confess.

-Robert Rohde