[Foundation-l] video presentation on explicit images on WMF projects

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Thu Jan 14 18:22:34 UTC 2010

Explicit images don't need to be used in an "encyclopedic" context
(Wikimedia is more than just an encyclopedia). They just have to be
_potentially_ useful in any Wikimedia project context (that's the
narrow, utilitaristic view on Commons) or in any possible educative
context (that's the more broad view on Commons, that views Commons as a
project on it's own instead of a auxiliary project). For almost any
picture it's possible to construct some example cases where the image
could serve a demonstrational purpose even if the quality is low and
similar images are available abundantly on Commons. We have lot's of low
quality penis self-shoots? Lot's of material to illustrate the "bad
examples" section of the Wikibooks guide "How to Present Yourself
Favorably in Adult Forum Profiles"!

So we shouldn't think about the question "How can we reduce the amount
of material". From the previous e-mails by private musings I got the
impression that he is mainly concerned about the fact that there is no
way to control the display of explicit images on a personal level. Even
if somebody accepts that others want to see the images and if he just
wants to have a method to get rid of them for him personally, there is
no way to achieve this except for "don't click on Wikimedia links or at
least think twice whether it could contain explicit images". And I am
with private musings on this. I for myself have no interest to exclude
explicit images, but it means improved "freedom" for others if we
provide a method to allow excluding explicit content. A template at
Commons like "{{explicit content|oral intercourse|penis|breasts}}"
stating the explicit contents visible in the image would be an easy
starting point. Let the template add some invisible HTML divs, provide
some Javascript to evaluate the divs and make it a gadget. Then
everybody will be able to exclude the personally unwanted content. If a
school wants to exclude explicit images, they switch on the gadget by
default. It's at least better than having Wikipedia blocked cause the
content cannot be controlled. That way "moral panics" would be
impossible cause anything immoral can be controlled.

One other thing that as a side effect could reduce the amount of
explicit material is to introduce a more professional release procedure.
If we'd require proper USC 2257 releases for explicit content, that
would improve our legal position and it would automatically lead to less
anonymous low quality uploads. That's something I would support.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox