[Foundation-l] Where do our readers come from?

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.rs
Thu Jan 14 14:26:25 UTC 2010

Andre Engels wrote:
> Going through the countries, another remarkable result in my opinion
> is the Ukraine - Ukrainian is not a small language by any means, yet
> Wikipedia visitors tend to be drawn to the Russian Wikipedia instead.
>
> Also, the Q3-Q4 comparison for most countries shows a shift from
> English to the 'vernacular'. Do you have data on this from a longer
> period of time? That is, is this part of an ongoing shift, or is it a
> seasonal effect (perhaps having to do with Q3 containing the school
> holidays in most countries?

In Page Views Per Wikipedia Language - Breakdown I also notice something
that should affect chapter relations: there are some Wikipedias which
are read from foreign countries more than from the country of origin
(probably b/c readers from diaspora is richer and has better Internet
access).

For example, Macedonian Wikipedia is read more from Slovenia or Germany
than from Macedonia:

Macedonian (mk) (0.02% share of global total)
Slovenia	30.6%
Germany	23.7%
Macedonia	23.3%

It would therefore make sense for WMDE to try to reach Macedonians
living in Germany, and for future WMMK to help them in doing so.