[Foundation-l] Fundraising banners

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Tue Jan 5 18:03:07 UTC 2010

Bod Notbod wrote:
> Congrats to the WMF on raising all the necessary funds.
>
> I'm sure plenty was learned for next year's effort.
>
> I've always been curious that the fundraiser runs over Christmas. I
> thought that would be a time when people are watching their pennies.
> What's the reason for that? Just curious, as obviously it has been a
> success.

Actually, while holiday gift-giving is a significant expense for many
people, the standard analysis from a charity perspective is that the
spirit of generosity permeating the season makes people more willing to
donate. In addition, for those who deduct contributions on their taxes,
the end of the year is often a time when donors make gifts as they
adjust to reach the desired deduction.

--Michael Snow