[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Please HELP save Wikipedia history ! (urgent)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Feb 21 15:40:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 5:30 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/2/21 Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>:
> > Anthony wrote:

> >> Definitely not.  You were supposed to release uploads under the GFDL,
> *if
> >> you were the copyright owner*, but not everything that was uploaded was
> >> under GFDL.
>
> But in case of those uploads the copyright owners (authors of the
> logos) uploaded them personally. The funny part of that story is that
> it means that current Wikimedia logo seems to be under GFDL :-)

Can someone email Brad Patrick to see what he remembers about this?  I can't
seem to find his email address.

My recollection is that one of the logos (but I'm not sure if it was the
Wikimedia logo) was (supposedly) retroactively taken out of either the GFDL
or the public domain (I forget which), and copyright was assigned to the
Wikimedia Foundation.  Considering that the first edit I can find of mine
was in December 2003, I'm guessing it was indeed the Wikimedia logo, and
that it wasn't until the *next* logo contest that talk of copyright
assignment was made before the contest began.

Again, I think Brad Patrick would remember more about this, because I
believe he was the one who insisted that the Wikimedia logo must not be
released under a free license.