[Foundation-l] Money for the Prishtina Insight

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Feb 17 08:06:55 UTC 2010

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I wonder if you know about :
> http://prishtinainsight.com/
>
> They have a great newspaper that is very informative. Problem is: it is
> lacking funding.
>
> My idea is that we would raise funding from wikimedia to buy articles from
> them to put in the wikipedia.
> Or we would raise funding from other sources for purchasing the articles for
> putting them in wikipedia.
>
> They do great journalism. I am thinking about factual articles about kosovo
> that are maybe older, maybe we could have them work on some wikipedia things
> in agreement, like 1-2 articles from every issue for the wikipedia.
>
> This would benefit the wikipedia and allow them to continue to work on their
> newspaper that lacks funding.
>
> What do you think?

I'm sure that there are many newspapers around the world suffering in
that way.  It likely wouldn't be difficult to find them if we looked.
The entire news marketplace is in economic turmoil, and even big players
find it difficult to keep above water.  The entire industry needs to
adjust to the marketplace without our intervention.

Support this particular venture could be seen as contrary to NPOV. There
are a lot of unresolved issues between Kosovo and Serbia, and it would
not be in our interest to be seen as supporting either side.

Ec