[Foundation-l] 2008/2009 Wikimedia Foundation Annual Report

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Feb 3 17:44:57 UTC 2010

Casey Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 1:08 AM, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:
>
>> The only common use I can think of where M doesn't represent millions is
>> in the advertising term CPM, or cost per mille:
>>
> Okay, so how about we just ask them to use "K" for thousands in the
> future, to reduce confusion, and let this thread die? :-)

Better still is to avoid abbreviations altogether.  This is a
multicultural environment, and very few abbreviations, including "K",
avoid confusion; they mostly create it. The Chicago Manual of Style does
not appear to mention these abbreviations at all. Spelling things out is
just good writing style.

Ec