[Foundation-l] Mediawiki to C++ , here we go

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 00:15:30 UTC 2010

Hi!

> That is old news, I have stopped working on it,
> not because I dont think it was a good idea, but because phc was not
> working. They have cancelled the project.

Poor you. You wasted your bandwidth on project that was doomed :(

> I was looking into roadsend recently,

I was too! But they're rewriting everything anyway ;-)

> but this new hiphop php compiler
> is exactly what we need.

I wouldn't be so sure about "exactly" part.

> When I find time, will try compiling my test cases with it.

Great!

> This could be a real boost for the wikipedia!

At FB it shaves off about 50% of execution time. I'm not sure how you
quantify "real boost".

> A native optimized binary version of the bloated php code, amazing!

Why would you call the code 'bloated'? It is relatively clean code,
that lots of people would envy (except few guys who'd say they can
build much better software, though wouldn't have anything to show).

Do note that this is translation of dynamic language code, it doesn't
make it as efficient as code written for native compilation.

Domas