[Foundation-l] fundraiser suggestion

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Thu Dec 30 11:13:44 UTC 2010

Domas Mituzas wrote:
> now that we have blinking banners, I'm sure we should try out how full-screen
> banners work, with "click to go to wikipedia".

If you could convince the fundraising folks that it would generate enough
money to justify ignoring the complaints, I'm sure it could and would be
implemented. That was the gist of the "Wikipedia Executive Director"
discussion. It doesn't matter if the banners are problematic and against
Wikimedia's principles (like accuracy), if they make enough money, these
concerns can and will be set aside.

The more recent banners speak of "urgent" and "critical" funding needs to
keep Wikipedia ad-free. However, the money to actually keep the site up and
running was raised weeks ago. Misleading readers is acceptable if it can
help Wikimedia reach its goal, right?

It's all about money. Principles are dead.

MZMcBride