[Foundation-l] Banners coming down for most logged in users

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Dec 21 23:37:37 UTC 2010

Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> We're actually still figuring out the right way to use the centralnotice for
> advertising events.  We're concerned about not overwhelming particular events,
> but also with making sure that the word gets out - it's a bit of a balancing
> act.
>
> Once we've figured out the best way to go about doing that (and we'd
> appreciate any suggestions), we'll start putting a process into place.
>
> Centralnotice is like a cannon... we don't want to direct a notice at millions
> of people, if the party isn't ready for the potential end result.

Related discussion about using global banners for non-fundraising:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Global_banners

I'm afraid I don't have any great suggestions for determining whether a
global banner is necessary and at what level (for all users on all projects,
only certain projects, only logged-in users, etc.). Perhaps a requests page
of some kind is needed at Meta-Wiki with guidelines for what the available
options are, what's generally appropriate for specific types of messages,
and offer a place for people to submit banner requests?

MZMcBride