[Foundation-l] Banners coming down for most logged in users

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:29:22 UTC 2010

Can I make a humble suggestion about the banners, and some other things.
on my slow computer, the banner takes a while to load, and when i click on
the page the click lands on the banner.
I dont mind looking at the banner, but I do mind that i click on it all the
time by accident,
maybe a simple trick to allocate space for it with some html and then load
the image later. that would at least help people on slow computers and slow
connections.

Another optimization would be to be able to display only a section of a
large page, like edit section, with preview, but display section.
It would be nice to only load the headers of the page sections and the load
the rest with ajax, that would speed up the page loads greatly.

It would be also nice on commons to be able to find pages by filename or
text, the search does not seem to find things properly.
just some ideas that have occured to me. We are also looking for some prize
money for the photo competition if anyone wants to donate some.

thanks,
mike

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Philippe Beaudette <
pbeaudette at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> A quick announcement: we are temporarily turning off the fundraising
> banners for most logged in users.  This will continue most likely through
> the end of the year.  We did some quick checking and realized that most
> people who are logged in and intend to give have already given.  The banners
> will stay off for a while, and we'll most likely not turn them on until
> after the first of the year for a final wrap-up push.
>
> For those of you in chapter areas, as always, the chapters control
> messaging in their territories - this should only impact users who are in
> the areas where the fundraiser messaging is controlled by the Foundation.
>
> Enjoy the respite :)
>
> Philippe
>
> _______________________
> Philippe Beaudette
> Head of Reader Relations
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>
> pbeaudette at wikimedia.org
>
> Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>
> http://donate.wikimedia.org

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania flossk.org
flossal.org