[Foundation-l] excluding Wikipedia clones from searching

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 10 22:11:52 UTC 2010

Well, lets backtrack.
The original question was, how can we exclude wikipedia clones from the search.
my idea was to create a search engine that includes only refs from
wikipedia in it.
then the idea was to make our own engine instead of only using google.
lets agree that we need first a list of references and we can talk
about the details of the searching later.
thanks,
mike

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 11:02 PM,  <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
> In a message dated 12/10/2010 1:31:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com writes:
>

> If we prefer pages that can be cached and translated, and mark the
> others that cannot, then by natural selection we will in long term
> replaces the pages that are not allowed to be cached with ones that
> can be.
>
> My suggestion is for a wikipedia project, something to be supported
> and run on the toolserver or similar.
>

> I think if you were to propose that we should "prefer" pages that "can be
> cached and translated" you'd get a firestorm of opposition.
> The majority of our refs, imho, are still under copyright.  This is because
> the majority of our refs are either web pages created by various authors who
> do not specify a free license (and therefore under U.S. law automatically
> enjoy copyright protection).  Or they are refs to works which are relatively
> current, and are cited, for example in Google Books Preview mode, or at
> Amazon look-inside pages.
>
> I still cannot see any reason why we would want to cache anything like
> this.  You haven't addressed what benefit it gives us, to cache refs.
> My last question here is not about whether we can or how, but how does it
> help the project?
>
> How?

James Michael DuPont
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova and Albania
flossk.org flossal.org