[Foundation-l] Wiki[p/m]edia

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Dec 10 13:37:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Philippe Beaudette
<pbeaudette at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> When we get letters saying things like "I'd donate, but only to Wikipedia, not to Wikimedia", it spells
> out for us that it's possible we could attract more people with the institution of Wikipedia than the
> institution of Wikimedia.

Are the donations which were made to Wikipedia, and not Wikimedia,
going to be restricted for use only by Wikipedia, or was this a bait
and switch.

Maybe the people who say they'd "donate, but only to Wikipedia, not to
Wikimedia" really do want to donate, but only to Wikipedia, not to
Wikimedia.

> Suggesting that it was criminal is... well, regrettable.

I didn't consider that possibility until you explained that the
intention was to trick people into contributing to Wikimedia when they
really wanted to contribute to Wikipedia.