[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Executive Director?

Austin Hair adhair at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 22:32:28 UTC 2010

2010/12/9 KIZU Naoko <aphaia at gmail.com>:
> I don't support this word choice: on twitter.com Japanese speaking
> reader mistook it as "one of English Wikipedia admins" "someone who
> writes articles" etc.
>
> Not only "smaller" projects but also on the Wikipedia, this factual
> error is better to correct I think. I heard it placed only on enwiki
> (in a downtime I haven't confirmed yet), but English is no mother
> tongue of every reader of the English Wikipedia. Factual error and
> language barriers may spread false information.

Not to mention cultural barriers.  In Wikipedia communities with (to
me, uncomfortably) structured hierarchies—"Senior Editor," "Editor
Second Class," "Senior Chief Petty Editor"—this is bound to confuse
the heck out of people.  As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, we
have enough problems trying to differentiate between Wikileaks and
Wikimedia; having to revisit Wikimedia vs. Wikipedia is understandably
frustrating to those of us who've spent years explaining the
difference.

It's easy to point fingers at an almost exclusively North American
staff and cry "cultural ignorance," but I'm not—I know that plenty of
people on staff have years of experience working across cultures, even
if it's talking to foreigners on IRC.

I wonder, though, who on staff can name the editor ranks on zhwiki?

Austin