[Foundation-l] excluding Wikipedia clones from searching

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 9 12:37:37 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Sounds like a great community project, Wiki Search!
>>
>> yes it would be great. As i said, it could just include all pages
>> listed as REF pages and that would allow people to review the results
>> and find pages that should not belong.
>>
>> We also need to cache all these pages, best would be with a revision
>> history. It should be similar to or using archive.org.
>>
>> The searching could also use lucene or some other project. It does not
>> have to be google.
>>
>> On this note, I would really like to see a wordindex for openstreetmap
>> as well, there is a huge amount of information that could be relevant
>> in osm that should be easier to use in WP.
>>
>> mike
>
> Openstreetmap is a wiki still in the "Wild West" phase. Words cannot
> express the nonsense it hosts.

If you are looking for a place named "X" or a location for some
article then it would be nice to have a better search engine of that
content. Wikipedia can help. Of course the WP articles are of a higher
standard than alot of OSM data, but there is a greater coverage. There
are alot of articles with no coords that could be fixed or assisted by
editor having a faster and better index to the  OSM data, no doubt.
mike