[Foundation-l] Organization on Wikipedia that deals with content issues.

Peter Damian peter.damian at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 29 14:38:34 UTC 2010

Gerard writes: >>The trouble is that attempts to make something that lures experts but
keeps idiots out of their faces have so far failed and/or attracted no
attention, even from the experts (Citizendium, Scholarpedia). That is,
they sound like a good idea; but in practice, Wikipedia has so far
been the least worst system.

True.  But is there not some way of making Wikipedia just a little more attractive
to people who have studied the subject?  I used to propose things like credentials
based on trust earned on Wikipedia (which would require getting trust from other
trusted editors, much like in financial markets).  These all naturally got shot down,
and silly of me to have tried.  But is there not some way of just making it a little
easier?

The problem is that until someone sits up and notices the serious errors that
are propagated through Wikipedia (and which are now becoming part of the
folk wisdom of the internet), no one will be bothered. The problem is that no one
*knows* there are problems, and so no one can be bothered. I've started documenting
the problem in a small way, e.g. here http://ocham.blogspot.com/2010/06/william-of-ockham.html
and here http://ocham.blogspot.com/2010/06/avicennian-logic.html , but this is only
in my own area of expertise.

What is the very smallest thing that could be done, I wonder?

Peter