[Foundation-l] A proposal of partnership between Wikimedia Foundation and Internet Archive

Excirial wp.excirial at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 22:17:46 UTC 2010

*What would it take to produce such a feed?**
*
A real-time feed may or may not be the best idea, for several reasons.
- One issue is that every edit would have to be examined not only for
external links, but for external links that were not present previously.
Doing this real-time may cause slowdowns or additional load for the servers
- keep in mind that we would have to scan external links on all edits for
all Wikipedia's; Counted together this would result in a very, very busy
feed towards IA.
- Sometimes added links are spam or otherwise not acceptable, which means
they may be removed soon after. In such a case man would prefer not having
them archived, since it would be a waste of time and work for IA.

An alternate solution could be forwarding a list of new links every day. The
Database Layout<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Mediawiki-database-schema.png>for
Wikimedia seems to sugest that all external links are stored in a
separate table in the database (And i presume this includes links in
reference tags). I wonder if it would be possible to dump this entire table
for IA, and afterwards send incremental change
packages<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeset>to them (Once a day
perhaps?). That way they would always have a list of
external links used by Wikipedia, and it would decrease the problem with
performance hits, spam and links no longer used. If we only forwarded a feed
with NEW links IA might end up with a long list of links which are removed
over time. And above everything - the External Links table is simply a
database table, which should be incredibly easy to read and process for IA,
without custom coding required to read and store a feed.

But perhaps the people at the tech mailing list have another \ better idea
on how this should work :)

~Excirial