[Foundation-l] A proposal of partnership between Wikimedia Foundation and Internet Archive

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.rs
Tue Aug 24 20:19:54 UTC 2010

Дана Tuesday 24 August 2010 21:05:05 wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk написа:
> Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> > I wanted to suggest this for a long time. I see two more reasons for
> > this:
> >
> > - We are often copying free images or text from various sites (for
> > example flickr but other ones too). It happens that these sites go
> > offline or change their licenses later. Having such an archive, archived
> > by an independent organization, would be indisputable proof of copyright
> > status.
>
> Personally I wouldn't rely on a flickr CC license as being in any way
> reliable.
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Flickr_washing
>
> I've seen too many AP photographs cropped to remove the AP attribute and
> uploaded to flickr as CC-BY to accept a flickr CC license at face value.
> In most cases the person doing so is probably taking stuff already
> cropped, and probably believes that if it is on the internet its public
> domain.

That is another issue entirely. And in order to determine if an image has been
washed in such a way and who did it you have to know its origin.

> No university, publisher, or newspaper has used my CC licensed images
> either commercially or non-commercially without checking with me first
> that the work is actually CC licensed. They have always carried out some

If the original website is gone, they can't even call to check.

> > - Wikipedia often writes articles about current events, and these link
> > to various news organizations as sources. It happens sometimes that
> > these sources stealthily change their content for various reasons. Such
> > an archive, if it would be able to quickly follow Wikipedia's new links,
> > would be a strong deterrent against this Orwellian trend.
>
> If someone is making copies of web pages that is a copyright violation.
> Unless they have, in the US, specific exemption from the US Copyright
> Office, that can lead to some heavy legal issues. The internet archive

It appears that so far this has not been a problem in practice, and anyway if
they are willing to take the risk, who are we to stop them?