[Foundation-l] A proposal of partnership between Wikimedia Foundation and Internet Archive

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:50:16 UTC 2010

Does anyone know what the status of the Internet Archive is with
respect to being a practical ongoing concern?

In the last couple years IA has added relatively little web-based content.

For example, their Wayback Machine currently offers:

www.nytimes.com: 11 pages since 2006
en.wikipedia.org: 5 pages since 2008
www.nasa.gov: 12 pages since 2008
scienceblogs.com: 0 pages since 2008

It gives the impression that they are so ineffective at archiving
recent content as to be effectively irrelevant.  They do have a
warning that it can take 6 or more months for newly accessed content
to be incorporated into their database, but at this point the delay
has been significantly more than that.  Even at their peak they rarely
archived more than a few hundred pages per major domain per year,
which still amounts to a tiny fraction of the internet.

The idea of seeking collaborations with people that archive web
content is a good one, but I don't know that IA is really in a
position to be all that useful.

-Robert Rohde