[Foundation-l] WMF Chapter Development Director job posting

Noein pronoein at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 15:01:21 UTC 2010

If I understand correctly the situation, the USA community currently
interact with Wikipedia through the Foundation or the en. chapter, which
are not necessarily representative of their interests. The point of view
that a chapter should represent the USA community depends strongly of
what is a chapter. I still don't know if it is a geopolitical, a
cultural, a social or a linguistic entity...
Anyway, there's the concern that a community deprived of proper identity
and voice is easily ignored.

As for the Foundation, I'm still not sure what role people are expecting
from it. Some comments now and then make me believe that a significant
share think of it as a leading, decision-making, representing and
executing role.
Other think the foundation should only play a pragmatic, executive
auxiliary role, implementing the will and decisions of the communities,
USA community included. I believe the separation of powers to be healthy.

As for the global and international concerns...

Cultural centrism or insularism cannot be at the core of the big goal of
an universal access to knowledge: they're a certain path to failure.

The latest conflicts about censorship and NPOV have shown, IMHO, that
they cannot be solved without distinguishing the few principles aimed to
the sharing and collective building of knowledge from the cultural
values - the western ones included.

Yet, the en.wikipedia is much more developed than the others and seems
to be progressing faster. Like a sun with a few satellites orbiting.
The "motor" doesn't distribute its energy to everybody, it mainly
benefits itself because it is not decentralized. Thus, it creates a
cultural inequality and domination. I wonder if this tendency can be
smoothed.

I wonder also how this is perceived by the rest of the world. The
english and american imperialisms are strongly present in their minds.
Wikipedia should avoid to look like yet another tool of cultural domination.

Thus, to favor the emergent chapters the USA community should have its
own chapter. It should have no more power of decision than the others
and certainly not a privileged relationship with the Foundation.

The Foundation should aim to be less insular and a clear separation from
the national concerns would help.