[Foundation-l] Push translation

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 02:22:11 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Michael Galvez <michaelcg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 5:56 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And the data that GTTK gathers from its use in Wikipedia translations?
>> What would need to happen for that to start coming back, in a usable
>> form?
>
> The translated segments are available to all translators in Translator
> Toolkit.  When other volunteers use Translator Toolkit to translate other
> Wikipedia articles, the segments will be available to them.

If GTTK goes away next year, will the data gathered from these
translations go away also?

I had thought the translation memory from Wikipedia translations was
freely available for reuse (at least in principle).  However, this
isn't yet the case.  As I understand it, Wikipedia translations are
bundled together with all other public submissions to Google's global
public translation memory, which produces the default translations you
see online.  This TM is not currently available for query, export or
download.

>> As I vaguely recall from someone posting study results on the
>> question, not all interwiki links are good, but ones that are a 1:1
>> match generally seem to be.

That is my impression as well.

SJ