[Foundation-l] Push translation

Michael Galvez michaelcg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 20:31:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> before

> available
> >> for
> >> that
> Docs
> >> or
> as

> publishing
> >> of
> user
> >> that
> >>
> >> I would say to force spellcheck before publication, which does not
> >> seem to be the case currently. I think this would be enough - perhaps
> >> a warning as well. I don't know about preventing publication, although
> >> that might work too.
> >>

> > How about this: we pop up a window that says, "Your translation has
> > misspelled words: X.  Publish anyway?"
> >
> > Does that work?
>
> That sounds great to me.

OK - I'll file this with engineering.  The red links fix is going in the
next release (this month).   Not sure if we can rush this through the
current release but we'll shoot for a subsequent release (maybe in
September?).

> >> Also, as far as Indic languages go, I would ask if there's any chance
> >> you have any Oriya speakers - with 637 articles, the Oriya Wikipedia
> >> is by far the most anemic of Indic-language Wikipedias, in spite of a
> >> speaker population of 31 million.
> >>

> > Oriya is one of the languages we'd love to work on.  We don't have any
> > activity on this today but if you have some Wikipedians who'd like to
> help
> > us get this off the ground, we'd love to get their contact info and we
> can
> > follow up from there.
>
> Unfortunately, there is currently not even an Oriya Wikipedia
> community. I think such a project would need to be managed a bit
> differently - seeking to either create a community (no reason
> participants can't start a community), or to be relatively limited in
> scope, or else to have more stringent controls on content quality. I
> would love to help with that myself in any way possible.

I spoke with our India team and it looks like Oriya, unfortunately, is not
one of our target languages this year.  If you're wiling to help, though,
I'll put you in touch with our project manager in India to see if there's a
way to push this through.

> Another option with a bit more community but still very underdeveloped
> is the Punjabi Wikipedia, with 1919 pages. I would recommend
> contacting Gman124 or Sukh at that project on their user talk pages or
> through the e-mail user function.

I'll add this to the thread with the India-based project manager.