[Foundation-l] Partecipation in Wikimania 2011

Harel Cain harel.cain at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 10:31:46 UTC 2010

Actually, the United States in the last decade has a very strict visa
policy, I'm not so sure if some of the people Osama is referring to
could so easily get in - this remains to be seen.

Travel from Egypt or Jordan into Israel is cheap - how does that
compare with flying to Taiwan?

As I have already written perhaps a dozen times on three different
mailing lists, we have good connections to Israeli authorities and
will do our utmost to ease the entry of whoever wishes to attend.
Governments can make exceptions under special circumstances (for
example, Druze people from the Golan heights routinely cross the
Israeli-Syrian border). Reaching out to the Middle East is very high
on our priorities.

We cannot do anything, however, against such things as travel to
Israel being socially unacceptable or punishable in one's home
country, or against people calling for the boycott of the conference,
except for expressing our regret at these phenomena.

Really, please refer to my previous answers on wikimania-l and on this
list. I feel that there's nothing much more to add, this is becoming
repetitive.

Osama, if you are serious about this, please help us form the
connections and the working relations with institutions and
individuals in Arab countries who are sincerely interested in
attending Wikimania 2011. That help would be invaluable.

Harel Cain
Wikimania 2011 team