[Foundation-l] Partecipation in Wikimania 2011

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 11 19:35:33 UTC 2010

Birgitte SB wrote:

> --- On Wed, 8/11/10, wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
> <wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> OH I was just pointing out that there is an academic
>> boycott of Israel, of course one is at liberty to break or not
>> participate in such, just like those who turned up at Sun City.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artists_United_Against_Apartheid
>>
>> One has to decide where one stands on such issues, does one not?
>>

> There seem to regularly be similar issues.
>
> Boston  there was people from some countries who could not get visas
> - People have suggested Wikmania never be held in US because not
> everyone would be allowed to enter
>
> Taipei   there were diffculties for some PRC residents.
>
> Alexandria  there were boycotts/ethical issues over the executions of
> LBGT Egytians - People suggested Wikimania never be held in a country
> where LBGT folks are persecuted

As I said one has to decide where you stand on issues of persecution.
Which I guess comes down to whether or not you consider the persecution
to be such that one ought to deny oneself a bit of pleasure. It is a
difficult decision for sure, one that I agonize over whenever I have to
  forgo an After Eight Mint:
http://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/boycott.html