[Foundation-l] Partecipation in Wikimania 2011

Moushira Elamrawy moushirah at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 18:21:18 UTC 2010

On 8/11/10, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:

>> I believe the "difficulty" of getting a visa varies from one country
>> to another, but even with the help of the bidding team, an issue will
>> remain unresolved, that is: Some countries do not allow persons with
>> an Israeli stamp on their passports, to enter their borders. The list
>> includes: Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Syria, UAE, Turkey ..and other
>> destinations. I am not sure if there are exceptions for this rule in
>> those countries. It is a complicated situation on political and
>> ethical levels.
>
> Turkey is no problem, Turkish citizens can, may and do visit Israel. Also,
> Jordan, Egypt, Morocco, Tunesia, and Mauretania are no problem. Algeria I
> would need to check.
>
> The list of countries which would never let a visitor in with the Israeli
> stamp (or Jordan or Egypt stamp in correponding checkpoints) is (I believe
> this is a full list but one needs to check the lates updates; not sure
> about Irak for instance):
> Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Yemen,
> Qatar, Sudan, Lybia. Citizens of these countries who openly visit Israel
> break the laws of these countries and can face prosecution.
>
> There are other countries which would let a foreigner with an Israeli
> stamp in but not let their citizens to visit Israel. This list needs to be
> compiled from the database but I believe it includes at least Malaysia and
> Indonesia.

You are right about the need to check on the list update. For instance
as far as I know, Bahrain has no problem with Israeli stamped passport
or nationals. (maybe the local team knows can provide a full and clear
list as well as confirmation on having a stamp on a separate paper
without restrictions?).

thanks