[Foundation-l] Push translation

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 08:25:10 UTC 2010

Andreas Kolbe, 07/08/2010 02:23:
> If Google want to build up their translation memory, I suggest they pay publishers for permission to analyse existing, published translations, and read those into their memory. This will give them a database of translations that the market judged good enough to publish, written by people who (presumably) understood the subject matter they were working in.

Good idea. EU would be a good start, see their great dictionary/internal
translation memory, one of the most useful language tools out there:
http://iate.europa.eu/iatediff/
But I suppose they won't release such data to one company. We may ask
them to release a database of paired translations under a copyleft
license and use it to improve free translation memories and to suggest
Google to adopt a free license.

Currently, if you want to translate something, machine translation is
useful only to translate a bunch of /words/ (especially nouns and
adjectives) at once, if you don't want to check dictionary multiple
times to remember their general meaning. And anyway on GT or GTT you
won't find many translations that you can find e.g. on IATE, so it's
often completely useless even for this "simple" task.

Nemo