[Foundation-l] Privacy policy, statistics and rankings

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 21:51:52 UTC 2010

Domas Mituzas wrote:
> Hi, wiki-list!
>
>> No ethics here then.
>
> Excuse me, what is your complaint?
>
> I don't really get the point you are trying to make.
>
> There are few simple things, but apparently you have problems to
> grasp them :)
>
> 1. Your readership data is not revealed to third parties. Your point
> "if a UK ISP published a list of all its users site visits." is
> complete bullshit and does not apply at all in this discussion.

Your editing history reveals a lot about you.

> 2. As an editor, you are participating in a collaborative process,
> which has quite a lot of meritocracy, so your contribution to the
> project matters.

Either an action/edit is good or it is not. Why would previous editing
history make any difference to the objective facts of the edits? Does
the input from someone new have less merit then someone with 'history'?
Because that isn't an example of a meritocracy its a clique.

> 5. Germans are more sensitive to privacy issues, and they have
> probably strictest privacy laws in the world. OTOH, look at (2).

France isn't far off. Other nations are also becoming concerned about
the uses online data is put to.

> 6. You seem to demand banning underage editing, which is quite
> important Wikipedian demographic :)

No one said ban them. That is some hyperbole you've invented.

> 7. We have ethics of open collaborative project that is providing
> knowledge to the world. This is not tinfoil hat association. GTFO, if
> you want to imply that we don't have ethics here, just because it
> doesn't fit your paranoid POV.

What has any of that got to do with collecting data about editors?