[Foundation-l] Privacy policy, statistics and rankings

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Aug 3 21:04:11 UTC 2010

wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk wrote:
> Domas Mituzas wrote:
>
>>> The issue is when someone aggregates the data and associates with
>>> an individual, and then makes publishes it. Or uses that data to
>>> make public statements about a user.
>>>
>> we don't associate data with individual, we associate data with
>> pseudonym.
>>
> And? People use the same pseudonym on more than one site just as they
> use the same password on more than one site. Besides some people even
> enter their real name.

Using a pseudonym or a real name is always an option available to
everyone.  In the past, cases where someone outed another who chose to
use a pseudonym have had severe consequences.  There has also always
been strong opposition to any proposal that users must sign up with real
names.

Really wanting to maintain anonymity and privacy requires a measure of
personal responsibility.  You absolutely should not expect the nanny
state to come to your rescue every time you fuck up.

Ray