[Foundation-l] Privacy policy, statistics and rankings

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 18:58:45 UTC 2010

On 3 August 2010 19:33,  <wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Currently the data collection and processing doesn't follow its
> recommended code of good practice of the UKs DPA and may even be in
> breach of it:
> http://www.ico.gov.uk/ebook/ebook.htm

That's quite a long document. You could point out the specific bits
being violated?

> One wonders what the response would be if a UK ISP published a list of
> all its users site visits.

That's completely different. Everyone knows (or can be reasonably
expected to know, anyway) that when they edit a page their username or
IP address, the time and date and what they edited will be stored and
made publicly available. We're just talking about making that publicly
available information available in a different way. I'm pretty sure
the UK's privacy laws don't forbid that, although I don't doubt what
people have said about German law.