[Foundation-l] Privacy policy, statistics and rankings

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Tue Aug 3 17:05:29 UTC 2010

  An'n 03.08.2010 18:58, hett Marcus Buck schreven:
>    An'n 03.08.2010 09:13, hett emijrp schreven:
>> User contributions are also aggregated and publicly available. User
>> contributions are aggregated according to their registration and login
>> status. Data on user contributions, such as the times at which users edited
>> and the number of edits they have made, are publicly available via user
>> contributions lists, and in aggregated forms published by other users.
> Perhaps you could compare it to this situation:
> It's not illegal to look at a house from a public place. It's not
> illegal to use binoculars in a public place. It's not illegal to take
> photos in a public place. It's not illegal to follow a person. It's not
> illegal to look into someone's trash can. It's not illegal to enter
> someone's childrens' school. But if you do this all day long to a single
> person, you are a stalker and legal action may be taken against you.
> Just because collecting public data is legal doesn't mean that
> aggregating it is legal. And German law is less lax with privacy than
> other laws.

Just to be clear, with this comparison I am referring to the first
aggregation tool that created a analysis of edits over daytime and other
statistics. That was the reason for the policy in the first place. I
don't think that emijrp's tool violates German privacy law, but it
violates the policy.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox