[Foundation-l] Privacy policy, statistics and rankings

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:37:00 UTC 2010

On 3 August 2010 09:04, James Alexander <jamesofur at gmail.com> wrote:
> While I disagree with the policy I'm not sure we can say that they aren't
> allowed to make it. I think a more restrictive policy would be allowed just
> not less restrictive.

That's pretty much exactly what I was going to say. The German
Wikipedia is entitled to create whatever policies it likes as long as
they don't go against global policy (and being more restrictive isn't
against the global privacy policy) or against the fundamental
principles of the movement. I think this policy is ridiculous
(Sebastian's analogy to cookies is very unconvincing - the
contributions page is already public, the analogy could be used to
argue to the removal of all attribution, but if edits are going to be
attributed (and, of course, they are) then the information is going to
be public and making a rule that says only people with the time and
technical expertise to write their own contributions analysis script
are allowed access to contribution statistics doesn't make any sense
to me at all), but it's not up to me.