[Foundation-l] Free translation memory

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 03:08:40 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Jimmy O'Regan <joregan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Open-Tran: http://open-tran.eu/
> Is something like translatewiki.
> Software here: http://code.google.com/p/open-tran/
> They also provide their databases for download.
> For running your own server:
> TinyTM: http://tinytm.sourceforge.net/
> Translate Toolkit includes an XML-RPC based translation memory server.

The idea here is interesting as Google is using Wikipedia articles to
improve its translation tools, which remain proprietary. If Wikimedia
ran its own translation toolkit, would that change the paradigm a bit?
Would that somehow compel Google to open up its translation data to
us, as an exchange for using our content for its proprietary tools?

-SC