[Foundation-l] Why should Wikimedians meet?

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 12:01:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 09:58, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 7/31/10 5:21 PM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
>> I am thinking about making Wikimania 2011 as awesome as possible and
>> here's a little something that bothered me.
>>
>> Wikimania 2010 was my first. It was a lot of fun to meet Wikimedians
>> from around the world. I also think that a lot of new ideas were born
>> thanks to the personal meetings in Gdansk, at least some of which may
>> grow to successful projects. Maybe it will be smarter use of machine
>> translation, maybe outreach to underprivileged languages, maybe
>> accessibility improvements. Maybe other things.
>>
>> But all of the above are nice dreams about the future. Is there any
>> proven experience from the past that demonstrates why personal
>> meetings between Wikimedians are not just fun for them, but actually
>> beneficial to the Wikimedia community, the Internet, the Humanity? Can
>> anyone here give me solid examples of successful projects that were
>> born thanks to past Wikimanias?
>
> Children...
>
> I know that for a fact :)
> Delphine met Arne whilst going to Germany to prepare first Wikimania
> ever. Look now: two children. Our future :)

* A fix for a missing patrolling feature for the Dutch wikipedia in
2005, Frankfurt; mainly because I met people who 'figuratively' held
my hands while figuring out how to fix the last part.

* for years, wikimania gave me the energy to do things again

henna

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"