[Foundation-l] Possible project

Philippe Beaudette pbeaudette at wikimedia.org
Fri Apr 30 02:17:08 UTC 2010

On Apr 29, 2010, at 9:08 PM, Chad wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> But just as we don't support multiple wiki platforms or mailman
>> itself, we aren't generally a project host. Have you talked to the
>> FSF
>> about hosting such a service, considering your FOSS focus?
>>

> Over the years, I've seen two general approaches to trying to launch
> a new Wikimedia site. The first is trying to come up with a *new* idea
> for a wiki. They start discussion on here or meta and typically it
> dies
> out because people lose interest in trying to flesh out a new project.
> The second approach that I've seen used is trying to get the
> Foundation
> to "adopt" some existing project. This also tends to fail as people
> get
> caught up over specifics (licensing, etc) and then lose interest. Or
> it gets said that Wikimedia is not a "host*" for projects.
>
> I'm curious to know, how does one start a new project in Wikimedia
> anymore?
>
> -Chad

Unashamed plug:  there's a task force on the strategy wiki to discuss
exactly these issues:  http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_force/Content_scope

Participation is welcomed.

Philippe

Philippe Beaudette
Facilitator, Strategy Project and
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation

philippe at wikimedia.org

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!