[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Announcement list is active

Jay Walsh jwalsh at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 21 00:14:11 UTC 2010

Hi all,

A few weeks ago there was much discussion about establishing an announcement-only email list that would be used as a 'push-only' list where important announcements from the Foundation, chapters, or other representatives could be directed.  Anyone could subscribe to this list and keep up to date on important events and information.

We now have this list up and running (I spent a little more time than I had planned testing stuff) and it's ready for subscribers:

We've created a page with general information about this list and how it will be moderated here:
meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_list/Wikimedia_Announce

Initially we'll be sending all major news from the WMF here so news can be shared in one place: new staff, new programs, career opportunities, milestones, calls for response, reports from staff or the board, etc etc.

And of course we want this to be a place where similar news and information can be disseminated from our community.

Rather than overwhelm this new list with too many rules and guidelines, I'm happy to have suggestions for posts sent directly to me, or to the 'communications at wikimedia.org' proxy email address, or you can just write to the list address with your suggestion and we'll work with you to get it posted.  Let's see how the traffic looks before thinking too much about what's wrong or right for the list - but ultimately readers will want to get relevant, good information and have advance notice of important happenings.

As we work out the kinks I'll be happy to bring on some other volunteer moderators to keep things moving as quickly as possible.

Foundation staff will begin to send information to this list as a default (new staff, major announcements, good news etc), although we will continue to share news on the pre-existing lists for the time being.  Of course this shouldn't preclude any discussion about news and events.  We expect to continue to converse about news and events on the other mailing lists as well. Anyone can submit relevant announcements for the list as well.  Refer to the meta page for the basic guidelines.  We will also point email updates from the Foundation blog to the WikimediaAnnounce-l.

The strategy is to provide a single list where public announcements can be collected, preventing missed information for people who participate on one list and not another.

You'll note that right now all replies to this list (if people are inclined to reply) will go directly to Foundation-l.  We'll see how successful this is, or if it causes confusion for subscribers.

Please share other thoughts or opportunities - on the meta page or on this list.  And please also encourage others to widely subscribe to this list.  Post to village pumps, on projects, etc.

Thanks!

--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications