[Foundation-l] Update on outreach projects

Frank Schulenburg frank.schulenburg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 18:28:48 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Here is a short update about some ongoing and new projects of the
Wikimedia Foundation's outreach department:

(1) Aradhana Ravindra will support the Bookshelf project as a contractor

It is my pleasure to announce that Aradhana Datta Ravindra started in
April to help us as a contractor. She will assist with structuring and
managíng the work for the Bookshelf Project.

Aradhana has over ten years experience as a Learning Strategist and is
also a Certified Project Management Professional (PMP). Recently, she
drove Palm's mobile learning initiative from functional and project
management perspectives. Prior to that, she worked for Nokia where she
designed, implemented and managed a mobile learning inititiative for
the organization.

(2) Instructional video released

Last week, we released our first educational video, covering the
concepts of "Verifiability" and "Neutral point of view". It is a
2-minute video, produced by Common Craft and released under an
CC-by-SA 3.0 license:

http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Verifiability_and_Neutral_point_of_view_%28Common_Craft%29-600px-en.ogv

Many of you will know Common Craft as producers of witty videos which
are understandable to users with any level of computer proficiency.
Common Crafts strength is to introduce complex subjects with paper
cut-outs in a fun and accessible way.

If you are curious about how Common Craft produces these videos,
please have a look at the following story on their blog:

http://www.commoncraft.com/scenes-common-craft-video-shoot

(3) Upcoming new outreach initiative

Rod Dunican, who joined us as an Education Program Manager, will lead
a new outreach initiative which we are about to launch.

The goal of this initiative will be to significantly increase the
quality of Wikipedia's articles in a particular subject area.
Additionally, we are planning to create structures that will support
continued improvement after the Initiative's conclusion.

Right now, we are working on a FAQ that will be published later this
week. I will let you know once it is online.

Thanks,
Frank

-----

NB. This mail address is used for public mailing lists. Personal
emails sent to this address will get lost.